Saturday 14 July 2012

Visualisation

I have made this exercises in the iPad application:

1. Talking to someone in a shop








The first idea was that I am talking with a woman. So I just started to draw a woman and after I added the shelves  which represent the environment around us. I was focusing to draw only the details of the woman and everything around us was not important. It looks that we are alone there. I think I could add some other people there to express that we are on public place (the shop).

2. Knocking on a door












I saw a story in my head: I am knocking on the door, I see only a part of my hand and a door. There is a peephole with a name plate and a door hinge. The peephole is there because I imagined that someone is looking through and after unlocking the door (that is why there is the doorknob frame and that is the waiting time). At the end we see a woman. I tried here to keep the frames clean and clear, maybe the hinge of the door does not need to be there but somehow it says in which direction the door will open (I added the hinge as last element).


3. Having an illicit affair







The last exercise is about an illicit affair. I thought that good place could be in a park of town. I am talking to a love one and suddenly a sound of a car disturbed me because I think it could be my real wife spotted me but finally it is not (frame 3 a 4). For sure I added here another frame which looks on a way with a bench and tree. I wanted to support that I am looking also in other direction to be sure everything is OK. The main element (I thought) is the car. The first frame represent a car in distance. Is in the car my wife? The second frame is pretty close to the car and it represents a focus on who is in the car! After knowing it is not my wife just to look to another direction and back on my love.


1. Which sequences are the most effective and why?I do not know how to answer this question but I think the subjective viewpoint (POV) is extremely powerful tool to let viewer / audience be in a skin of an actor. The viewer can be immediate part of the story. It supports the fact he or she does not see reactions of the actor in this moment. Maybe the reactions are not important and we keep viewer focused on the important elements in frame. I must think about it more. Because in films there are combinations of subjective and objective shots.  I think their combinations are important for letting viewer thinks in two ways: subjective - let the viewer to make her or she opinion about situation and objective - observing how the character react within situation and give us another information of story. I hope it is clear.
2. What makes a convincing subjective sequence?The camera is not steady? There is a little bit of shaking? The camera does pan/tilt movement? It is convincing when we see the situation which is same as we see in the reality for example: a drive by car, we see scene through the window, we see hands control the steering wheel, we see or talk to our passengers but we do not see the driver! And certainly the camera shaking, movement help here a lot.
3. What gives the sequence a sense of atmosphere or tension?I think many things and when I remember Walter Murch's six rule, the first was emotions. And emotions are about music, light, depth of field, composition in the frame. Also length of shot, pace of cutting, rhythm, all those thing. What crossed my mind now is a balance within all those things.
4. What information is conveyed in each frame?If the question is about subjective or objective shot I think I answered it in question one.

Anyway this question encourage me to study some sequence from film the conversation which I saw yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment